Development of a Case Definition for Chronic Multisymptom Illness
An IOM committee will develop a case definition for chronic multisymptom illness (CMI) as it pertains to the 1990-91 Gulf War Veteran population. The committee will comprehensively review, evaluate, and summarize the available scientific and medical literature regarding symptoms for CMI among the 1991 Gulf War Veterans. The committee will look broadly for relevant information, including, but not limited to:
- Published peer-reviewed literature concerning existing case definitions for CMI among the 1990-1991 Gulf War Veteran population;
- Published peer-reviewed literature concerning existing case definitions of CMI among similar populations such as Allied military personnel; and
- Published peer-reviewed literature concerning case definitions for other populations with a similar constellation of symptoms.
- Discussions with researchers involved with developing case definitions for chronic multisymptom illness in 1990-1991 Gulf War Veterans.
- Discussions with clinicians who treat veterans of the 1990-1991 Gulf War.