Enhancing BioWatch Capabilities Through Technology and Collaboration: A Workshop
Enhancing BioWatch Capabilities Through Technology and Collaboration: A Workshop will take place on July 27-28, 2016 at the Keck Center (Room 100) in Washington, DC.
- Review the findings and recommendations of the October 2015 GAO review of BioWatch system enhancements;
- Provide a broad overview of current efforts underway at DHS to enhance the technology and practices of BioWatch as a federally managed, locally operated system to detect the intentional release of select aerosolized biological agents;
- Review DHS's assessment of gaps in current BioWatch detection, early warning, and decision support capabilities and discuss any gaps DHS has not considered;
- Review available technological and non-technological (non-materiel) capabilities for biosurveillance and reporting including autonomous systems, as well as the assessment and testing of such systems;
- Review DHS's current collaboration activities across all levels of government and explore opportunities for additional collaboration and coordination between BioWatch and relevant federal, state, and local public health partners to support effective and efficient capability development; and
- Explore opportunities to further advance national preparedness by examining federal, state, and local planning and response activities in the event of a biological incident.