Webinar - Making it Happen: Overcoming Barriers to Increasing Physical Activity and Physical Education in Schools
Recognizing the 1-Year Anniversary of the IOM Report, Educating the Student Body: Taking Physical Activity and Physical Education to School
Tuesday, May 13th, 2014, 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM EDT
Watch the Recorded Webinar
On May 13th, 2013, the IOM released the report Educating the Student Body: Taking Physical Activity and Physical Education to School, which offered recommendations, strategies, and action steps that individually have potential to increase children’s opportunities to engage in health-promoting physical activity in the school environment, including before, during, and after school. However, many barriers exist to achieving the recommended amount of physical activity in the school environment.
In recognition of the 1-year anniversary of the release of the report, this webinar will review the recommendations of the report and ways that schools across the country are working to implement physical activity programs. The webinar will consider barriers to implementation faced by schools and highlight ways in which district and school-level administrators are working to overcome these obstacles.
The webinar will feature presentations from:
- Rochelle Davis, President and CEO, Healthy Schools Campaign
- Annie Lionberger, District Wellness Supervisor, Chicago Public Schools
- Patty Cote, Principal, Mary Louise Phillips Elementary School, Fort Worth, TX
Participants in the webinar will:
- Explore innovative approaches school and district-level administrators have employed to overcome barriers, including commonly faced barriers such as scheduling or funding.
- Discuss strategies and approaches that have been used to overcome challenges unique to minority, low income, or underserved communities.
Registration is required to attend the webinar via Webex and space is limited. Please contact Sarah Ziegenhorn at the Institute of Medicine, (202)-334-3913, email@example.com, with questions.
For those unable to attend, the webinar will be recorded and posted to the IOM’s website following the event. To access the webinar and the presentations after May 13th please visit: http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/Reports/2013/Educating-the-Student-Body-Taking-Physical-Activity-and-Physical-Education-to-School.aspx