Webinar: Understanding and Implementing Recommendations from the IOM Report Educating the Student Body: Taking Physical Activity and Physical Education to School
View the archived webinar of this event >>
The IOM and the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition (PCFSN) will co-host a webinar on September 26, 2013, from 2:00pm - 3:00pm EDT to provide teachers, educators, parents, school administrators and school-based organizations with information on the findings and recommendations of the IOM report. The webinar also will highlight Let’s Move! Active Schools and the Presidential Youth Fitness Program—two model programs that promote physical activity and quality physical education in schools.
The webinar featured:
- Harold (Bill) Kohl, III, Ph.D., IOM Committee chair; Professor of Epidemiology and Kinesiology, University of Texas at Austin
- Charles (Chuck) Hillman, Ph.D., IOM Committee member; Professor; Departments of Kinesiology and Community Health, Psychology, and Internal Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Jayne Greenberg, Ph.D., IOM Committee member & PCFSN Council member; District Director, Physical Education and Health Literacy, Miami-Dade County Public Schools
- Shannon Michael, Ph.D., M.P.H., Health Scientist, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Population Health
Goals of this webinar:
- Examine the IOM report recommendations in depth, provide clarification, and identify ways the recommendations may be implemented;
- Explore the link between cognitive (mental) functioning and physical activity;
- Highlight evidence-based physical activity and physical education programs that support the report’s findings;
- Discuss evaluation and professional development of school-based physical activity programs.